Are you thinking of starting a blog? You are not alone. Many people like you would also like to start a blog. What is your blogging objective? Or rather, what value do you want to add? Who do you want to help? How do you want to help them? Remember it is in solving a problem that you can get an engaged audience.
Here are some types of blogs to consider from which you could select based on what you plan to achieve;
- Personal Blogs – Share your life with your audience, your experiences, journeys, lessons, struggles, victories, engaging them on a personal level.
- Business Blogs – Mainly built for business and organizations and you can use such to educate your clients about your products, services, and company activities, resulting in brand loyalty and more customers.
- Authority Blogs – If you are an expert in a specific field, this is a good blog type for you. These can be real estate, fashion, food, entrepreneurship, engineering, cars, sports, technology, relationships, religion, politics, etc
- News Blogs – Self-explanatory, use these to provide updates on sports, business, celebrity, politics, and any type of news you have an interest in.
It is best to concentrate on one area/niche per blog, especially if you have a tight budget. Please try as much as possible to blog on something you have interest or expertise. It will make the road much easier.
Points to consider before starting a blog
Once you have selected the type of blog you need to make a plan for your blog.
- Audience – Unfortunately, this blog is not just about you. You first and foremost need to think about your target audience in terms of age, location, hobbies, interests, concerns, and possible size of the audience. If you start with your readers in mind, you are sure to get some traffic without too much effort.
- List possible titles for your articles – Research on websites like answerthepublic.com by typing in your keywords. This will show you the questions that users are asking in your niche. Once you get a list of questions, proceed to write titles based on those questions. This will give you a better picture of whether you will have enough content for your blog. Aim to be able to post at least 30 good, articles eventually.
- Traffic – How will you get traffic to your website? The best answer to this question is, where are your audiences hanging out? Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Tumblr are the common channels you can use to market and promote your blog. It is advisable to plan to use a multi-channel approach in online marketing for the best results. You can also use guest blogging on other websites, as well as influencer marketing, where someone with a lot of following mentions your blog for a fee (or free if you are lucky).
- Time – How much time do you have to dedicate to your blog? You need to plan when you will be researching, writing, and promoting your blog. If you do not have a lot of time, you could also outsource these services, either on Fiverr.com, Freelancer.com, or go to Facebook article writers groups and look for one who will do the articles for you.
- Monetization – How will you make money from your blog? There are many options, including affiliate marketing, Google Adsense, selling own products and services, e-books and, eventually endorsements (when you have some good traffic), plus many other ideas.
After you have gone through the initial planning, you will have a roadmap which you can use. Don’t be afraid of changing your plan as you go along. The important thing is to START. Take a step at a time, and please give your blog one or two years of consistent blogging (minumum of twice a month) for it to take off. Patience is key